If you need to create a new website or redesign a current site, it’s a great idea to start with the homepage. Is your website telling your prospective clients what you do? Are you second-guessing yourself until you’re paralyzed, not knowing what to do? Serving as your company’s virtual “front door”, this page is responsible for keeping your clients engaging in your page. Like a guest in your home, your homepage should WELCOME your visitor and invite them “in” to your site.
Here is what you need to know:
- Get Specific with Your Client – Your site should have a clear, concise explanation of what you do. Don’t confuse your future clients by being vague and aloof. Create a headline that tells your prospective client EXACTLY what you do. This is not a page to create “fluff”, be specific and simple. Tell your visitor what sets you apart from your competition, clarify a common pain point for your target audience (over 25 years experience, only lawn service in Wake County using XYZ technology, ranked #1 five years in a row). Your homepage should convert as much traffic as possible to leads and eventually, customers.
- Reflect Their Problem to Them – Solve your client’s problem. What will you do for them? What is causing your client stress? Why are they looking for your service? Do they even know they need what you offer? (Create a yard that will make your neighbors jealous, a brighter smile that will give you the confidence you deserve, we will sell your home in 30 days guaranteed)
- Create a Clear Call to Action – Create large, direct buttons that tell your client what to do. (Sign Up Today, Join Our Team, Buy Now, Order Here). Funnel your website’s visitors to ONE main call to action. You can have others, but make them smaller and less prominent. Be sure to keep your offer above the fold or top half of the page; be sure this displays both on desktop and mobile versions of your site. Use contrasting colors.
- Customer Transformation – This is where you allow your visitor to visualize themselves as your client. Create a message that will allow them to see you solving their problem. This is a great place for current customer testimonials. Most consumers are visual, your site should be aesthetically pleasing and show the result of your product. This is also a place to show before and after photos, focusing on the finished result and HAPPY customers!
- Logo – Be sure that your logo is on your homepage, with amble negative space so it instantly stands out and creates brand awareness. Do not make your logo so large that it overpowers your page. You may love your logo, but increasing its size will not increase the impression it makes on your visitor.
- Menu – Less is more. Do not overload your visitor with too many choices “when you confuse you lose”. Create menu headings that are simple and descriptive. (Contact Us, Products, Lawn Care). Be specific, don’t list “services” when you can list “Lawn Care” or “Dental Treatments”.
Need a homepage that works? Schedule a consultation with one of our StoryBrand guides and start connecting with more online customers!